At the moment I am loving black beans in savoury and sweet formats. They are versatile little bundles and great in your lunch box or dessert. At the beginning of the week I make a black bean salad – 2 tins (rinsed), tbsp. apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil, 1 tamari sauce, tbsp. garlic & chilli flakes, lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper. Add avocado or roasted cube sweet potato to the mix to hit them macronutrients.
Today, I am writing about the sweet side of black beans and a creation called “Salted Caramel BB Brownie”.
To make these delectable BB brownies from scratch you will need to acquire the following:
2 tins Black Beans – ( rinse and dry) – I used Epicure brand from Lulu’s Hypermarket they have no added salt.
14-15 Dates (these are used to sweeten and added for caramel texture)
2 Tbsp. Instant Coffee
1 Tbsp. Almond Milk or milk of choice
1/4 cup Stevia
1/3 Cacao Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Sea Salt, will sprinkle more on top at the end.
2 Eggs ( use 2 Tbsp. flax or chia seed for egg substitute mixed with water prior to baking)
2 Tbsp. Rice Malt Syrup/Honey
- add chopped nuts, raisin, orange peel, coconut nut, cherries for extra texture.
Make from Scratch
- Preheat oven , 170 degrees , fan oven. 8×8 baking tray lined with greaseproof paper (handy stuff , saves on washing time in the kitchen).
- Blitz black beans in food processor till smooth mixture. Add 2 eggs, stevia, cacao powder, baking soda, salt. Mix in processor until combined.
- In separate bowl add 10 dates, 2 Tbsp. instant coffee, almond milk, rice malt syrup/honey – use hand blender to create a smoothie like texture, it will be thick. This is used to sweeten the brownie mix. Chop the remaining dates into small pieces add some to the bb brownie mix and leave some to sprinkle on top.
- Pour the black bean brownie mix into a large mixing bowl followed by the date & coffee mixture. Combine and fold the mixture.
- Pop into lined baking tray. Sprinkle dates and coarse sea salt flakes on top.
- Allow to bake for 45 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Drizzle honey or dark chocolate for richness on top at the end before devouring. Store in fridge once cool and if there is any leftover.
- Enjoy with homemade protein ice-cream and peanut butter.
Be sure to keep me posted if you try and test these recipes by posting on Twitter: @WhelehanLynne or Instagram @makeandbakefromscratch #makeandbakefromscratch and Facebook: Make & Bake From Scratch
Eat the rainbow, don’t chase it x