All sorrows are less with bread.
MIGUEL DE CERVANTES, Don Quixote
I would like to thank my Mammy for introducing the M&B Kitchen, to this delicious creation over the festive season in Ireland. I have created my own recipe calling it “Three Seeded Porridge Bread”. Over the weekend I got my bake on and the bread was devoured. In my strongest Midlands accent “there was a grand smell wafting throughout the house”.
Grotto (2007) discusses the health benefits present in the ingredients:
- Oats – Vitamin E, B vitamins, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Selenium, Copper, Zinc, Iron and Manganese. Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fibre which have digestive benefits.
- Natural Yogurt – calcium source and contain probiotics. Research suggests that probiotics contain immune boosting properties and enhance intestinal tract health (Grotto, 2007:353)
- Flaxseed – Omega 3 source and contains both soluble and insoluble fibre.
- Pumpkin Seeds – Omega 3 source and phytosterols.
- Sesame Seeds – contain phytosterols research suggests that phytosterols might fight heart disease.
Made From Scratch
*10-12 Slices (this will vary depending on the size of the slice you cut)
360g Organic Oats
500ml/450g Tub Non Fat Yogurt (I used Glenisk Non Fat Yogurt)
2tsp. Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
3 Tbsp. Flaxseed
2 Tbsp. Pumpkin Seeds
2 Tbsp. Sesame Seeds
3-4 Tbsp. Almond Milk or Milk
- Preheat oven 180 and grease the loaf tin. I used grapes oil to grease the tin.
- Weigh out oat mix and pop in a large mixing bowl. Add salt and seed mixture. Gently mix together.
- In a separate bowl pour in yogurt and add baking soda. Allow to sit for a few minutes. It will fizz up! Add 3-4 Tbsp. almond milk.
- Next add yogurt mixture to oats and mix until well blended and a dough like consistency is formed. Make sure the oats are well blended with the yogurt mixture.
- Pour porridge bread mix into the loaf tin. Pop in oven for 60 minutes. Remove from tin at 60 minutes and pop back in the oven for another 10 minutes to make it crispy. Bread cooking time 70 minutes in total.
- Allow to cool or not and lather with kerry gold butter.
Be sure to keep me posted if you try and test these recipes by posting on Twitter: @WhelehanLynne or Instagram @makeandbakefromscratch #makeandbakefromscratch and Facebook: Make & Bake From Scratch
Eat the rainbow, don’t chase it x
- Grotto. D, RD, LDN. (2007) 101 Foods that could save your life. Bantam Books. New York.