This week I ordered an organic vegetable box from Ripe it arrived full of delicious vegetables, all locally produced. Inside the box there was organic beetroot. I have always been curious to bake healthy buns using beetroot, so I gave it a whirl and the results were surprisingly very satisfying. So, don’t knock it till you bake it!
Aside from beetroot , I made my own applesauce to sweeten and to add moisture and keep it spongy. This allowed me to omit oil/fat, so these tasty little numbers are packed with vegetables, fruit and low in fat, yet still tasty. Beetroot is a nutrient dense food containing folate , vitamin C, fibre, potassium and low in calories. Its bright colour means it contains anti-oxidants. Apples are rich in fibre both soluble and insoluble. They contain phytochemicals which may play a role in fighting cancer and heart disease.
I frosted the buns with coconut cream, lemon and orange zest creating a sweet and tangy combination. The coconut cream frosting is basically a block of Biona coconut cream melted with added stevia/honey/maple syrup/coconut sugar, whatever your sweetener of choice is. It is a very simple and easy recipe to create in the kitchen.
1.5 cups Almond Flour
1/4 cup Coconut Flour
2 large Beetroots, grated (you will need to boil beforehand and peel)
2 Apples (applesauce)
2 Free Range Egg Whites
1 Whole Egg
1 Vanilla Pod
4 sachets of Stevia
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
Coconut Cream Frosting
1 block Biona Coconut Cream, melted
1.5 tbsp. Honey/Maple Syrup/Coconut Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 170c. This can vary with ovens.
- Beetroot: boil beforehand, will take up to one hour. They are ready when soft in the middle, poke with a fork to examine how tender they are. Peel and grate.
- Applesauce: wash and chop apples, remove core. Pop in food processor and blitz until smooth consistency.
- Combine: almond flour, coconut flour, grated beetroot, applesauce, eggs, vanilla, stevia, cinnamon and baking soda into a large bowl.
Mix: well with a spoon until well combined.
Spoon: into bun cases in the bun tray.
Bake: for 30 minutes until cooked through.
Remove: from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once they are cooled, prepare the coconut frosting. Pop the block into a mixing bowl and melt over boiling water. Add sweetener and stir until well combined. Cover your buns in coconut cream and the zest of a lemon and orange.
Be sure to post pictures on instagram of your creations. Follow me @makeandbakefromscratch #makeandbakefromscratch
Nourish your body from the inside out x