Raw Banoffi is a guilt free treat. The recipe is gluten-free, grain free and if you follow a dairy free eating regime just omit the greek yogurt and use coconut cream. Eat it as a weekly treat. Raw Banoffi is so easy to throw together and is abundant with health properties to help you in your quest to super eating. Benefits include:
- Bananas: packed with vitamin B6, C, potassium, manganese. Bananas are a prebiotic source and this will help probiotics thrive and is helpful for vitamin B absorption. So, hello “Happy Gut”. I topped the sweet treat with greek yogurt which also contains beneficial probiotics to help with digestion.
- Cinnamon: makes insulin more effective and will help with energy levels.
- Ground Almonds: packed with vitamin E, B2, K, manganese, magnesium, omega 6, carotenoids, bioflavonoids and phytosterols.
- Coconut oil: strengthens immune system, increases metabolism (aids in weight loss), improves digestion, boosts key mineral absorption (calcium and magnesium), antifungal and antibacterial properties, provides long-lasting energy and is great for skin and hair.
I used glass jars to serve individual portions but ramekins will work perfectly or you could use a small cheesecake tin. Use what is available. Also when layering the mixture in the jars I added raw cacao nibs and toasted flaked almonds.
What you will need to execute this dish:
2/3 cup Ground Almonds
2/3 cup Desiccated Coconut (unsweetened version)
4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
1 tbsp. Organic Rice Syrup or Honey, melted
1 tsp. Vanilla Powder
½ tsp. Cinnamon
Banana Toffee Mix:
4 Medjool Dates, pitted
1 tsp. Vanilla Powder
½ tsp. Cinnamon Powder
- Base: In a large mixing bowl add ground almonds, desiccated coconut, coconut oil, rice syrup, vanilla powder and cinnamon, combine the mixture.
- Banana Toffee Mixture: In a food processor add the banana’s, dates (pitted), vanilla powder and cinnamon, blitz until combined and smooth.
- Layering: In the glass jars (this recipe makes 2) I layered the mixture. First I added the base mixture then banana toffee mixture on top followed by a layer of raw cacao nibs and toasted flaked almond, another base mixture layer, banana toffee mixture. To finish it off I added glenisk greek yogurt, sprinkled raw cacao powder and nibs on top.
- Allow to set in the fridge for about 1 hour.
Be sure to keep me posted if you try and test these recipes by posting on Twitter: @WhelehanLynne or Instagram @makeandbakefromscratch
Real Food Rocks & Cookin’ Rolls x