Trips to the supermarket can be a daunting task when you aren’t sure what you really need or want. Below I have put together an outline of essential items that will help you to enhance your healthy eating habits.
- Oils: Coconut Oil Cold Pressed, Olive Oil Cold Pressed, Avocado Oil, Rapeseed Oil, Ghee Clarified Butter.
- Salt: Pink Himalayan Rock Salt, Rock Salt.
- Spices: Every press should have an abundance of spices to add flavor to your favourite dishes. Pick yourself up some Chilli Flakes, Garam Masala, Turmeric Powder, Cardamom Pods, Star Anise, Mustard Seeds, Chilli Powder, Whole Coriander Seeds or powder, Ginger Powder, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Fennel Seeds, Fenugreek, Cumin Seeds and Peppercorns; the list is endless!
- Herbs: Where possible I like to use the fresh herbs, however, it isn’t always possible so I go for the dry option. Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley, Bay Leaves, Sage, Tarragon, Mint; tailor to suit your cooking habits.
- Sauces: Fish Sauce, Tamari Style Soy Sauce (gluten-free option), Tabasco Sauce, Mustard, Peanut Butter (make sure it has only peanuts in the ingredients, this is the healthier and more natural form).
- Tins of Coconut Milk. Check the ingredients list and try to avoid brands that add additives, try keeping it as natural as possible. My favourite brands are Biona or Chaokoh.
- Tins of Tomatoes. Great for the bases of sauces and soups.
- Vinegar: Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, brands I like are Bragg or Biona, Balsamic Vinegar, White Wine Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar.
- Sweeteners: Raw Honey, Unrefined Brown Sugar, Stevia, Coconut Sugar, Agave Syrup.
- Chocolate: 70-85% Dark Chocolate is great when you get a sugar craving. My favourite brands are Lindt or Green & Black. Also keep an Organic Cocoa Powder in the press; Green & Black have a great cocoa powder. It comes in very handy for making your own natural hot chocolate drink (recipe to follow),Carob Powder is fantastic.
- Nuts: Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts, Brazil Nuts, Roasted Coconut Flakes, Raw Peanuts ; these are all great for snack recipes.
- Flour: Almond Flour, Coconut Flour and Desiccated Coconut; I use these flours mostly as I am Gluten Free.
Places I can recommend in Johannesburg are:
For a list of Farmers Markets in Johannesburg visit Eat Out.
The list above is an outline of products that will be needed for the various healthy recipes and ideas that I post. There is no need to make a burst for the store straight away to purchase the entire product list. I will add to the list as time progresses.
Eat real, Great Feel!